Thursday, January 10, 2013

What prompted me to join the fitness movement

2012 was an intense year; full of ups and downs I really had no time to get bored. Changes at work, a new house, matters of life and death all formed a conglomerate of events that could have easily caused serious problems. Bear in mind that I am not complaining at all.
One of the cool things about 2012 was going to camping. My two kids loved it and my wife and I had a great time enjoying the beauty of some of Texas State Parks.
Around May we ended up in Tyler, about sixty miles east of Dallas, where there is a beautiful lake. One day I was on the shore playing some ball game with the kids. Unknown to me, my wife was taking some pictures with her phone trying to preserve the memories of the beautiful moment. When we headed back home I uploaded all the pictures we made on my iPhoto and I started enjoying the slideshow of or little getaway while "Lucy and Linus" was happily playing on the background.
Then... Nightmare. One of the pictures my wife made wad taken from behind, from a perspective I can't really see often. In other words, it would have been impossible for me to get used to the way I looked from that position (being used to how we look is one of the problems that cause overweight; another story to be told another time). Well, I looked (and felt) awful. Chubby, with love handles and so on.
Thanks to that picture I decided to actually start counting the calories, going more to my martial arts classes and maybe doing some more exercise.
Until lightning stroke.
Just a couple of weeks into a stronger training regime I woke up with a hideous pain under my right foot. At first I thought that it was caused by a stupid decision i made the day before to play a baseball game barefoot. However, after one week of insane pain I went to the doc which told me the diagnosis: "Plantar fasciitis". When I asked him what I could do he told me that it was very important to lose weight and then to rest for three or more months. Which meant: no martial arts, no running etc.
After a month the pain was still there (spoiler: still is) I noticed that that I was getting more chubby.
So, I decided to do something.

Next episode I will explain what I did and how I lost 20 pound in a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment